Phil was elected as a Member of the Institution (MIStructE) in 1992 and as a Fellow (FIStructE) in 2012.
Professional Review Interview Panel
In 2008 Phil joined the Chartered Professional Review Panel (now Professional Review Interview) for the IStructE Lancashire and Cheshire Regional Group. This work includes:-
- Reviewing Portfolios of work and Initial Professional Development reports
- Interviewing Candidates wishing to become Chartered Members of the Institution (MIStructE)
- Appraising whether candidates have achieved the minimum level of thirteen Core Objectives set by the Institution
Lancashire and Cheshire Regional Group Committee
In January 2017, Phil joined the IStructE Lancashire and Cheshire Regional Group Committee. As a Fellow Grade member, Phil is asked by the Institution to review other Engineers who live within the Regional Group who apply for Fellowship.
Throughout 2018 and 2019 Phil has been acting as Technical Meetings Secretary which involves:-
- Contacting potential Speakers to make presentations at the Regional Group Technical Meetings held at least monthly
- Agree meeting dates/ venues with the speakers
- Compile the meeting date calendar for entry to the Regional Group Members Directory (Yellow Book)
- Liaise with the Speaker, Venues and Institution commercial co-ordinator
- Act as deputy chair for the meeting if required
In January 2019, Phil was elected Vice-Chairman for the Regional Group and is due to take the Committee Chair in Jan 2021 which will include membership of the IStructE Council in London
Business Practice Committee
In February 2019, Phil joined the IStructE Business Practice Committee. The work of the committee includes writing, reviewing and publishing Business Practice Notes in addition to advising the IStructE in respect of best business practice.